In a recently released report by Research and Markets entitled Analyzing the Australian Media & Advertising Industry it found that:
- The Australian newspaper industry is outperforming its counterparts in the UK and US, with advertising revenues only falling marginally from 2008.
- In the advertising scenario, there is a global recession, and it is forecasted that Australia will have a soft 2009, after two strong years of performance.
- According to market researcher Aegis Media, the advertising industry in Australia will increase 1.7% in 2009. However, with a price inflation of 5.2%, spending will actually drop 3.5%.
- Only the online sector will mark a real growth of 9.7%, but the figure is cut to 5.7% if price inflation is considered.
- The convergence of the Internet with television, the growth of wireless communication, and the increasing use of digital video recorders all offer new avenues and challenges for advertisers.
- Further consolidation across national borders is also expected as ad firms try to deliver global capabilities in an increasingly competitive market.
About the Author: Jenni Beattie is the Director of Digital Democracy a Sydney based Social Media Consultancy . Enjoy the article? please subscribe to the RSS Feed